November 18, 2010

Baby Bradley's Birth Story


Here's Bradley's delivery story. I made it quick I think.
I had been having contractions for the last couple weeks. They were very strong and lasted for three to six hours at a time, I probably should have called and told my Dr. about them but they were really irregular and I didn't feel like I should be concerned. The night before my Dr. appointment I had been having contractions and just thought I would tell her when I got there. I was still having them that morning and they were finally getting consistent but I didn't know for sure if it was the real thing since it wasn't "supposed" to happen for a while yet and I didn't want to get my hopes up. I had Brandon drive me to my appt. since I was having a contraction every few minutes and didn't want to wreck or something.

Brandon decided to wait in the car with Bree while I went to my appointment. I figured the contractions would stop soon and just wanted to have my appointment and go home to deal with them. I ended up waiting for my appointment an extra half hour that felt for an eternity. There was only one other girl in the waiting room with me I think for her 6 week checkup and since I kept standing up and swaying every few minutes I could see hersmiling like she knew what was going on. Anyways on the way to the room I had to stop in between and get through a contraction, and then again before she took my blood pressure. I started crying because I had to stay still and it hurt. To manage my pain I find it best to "sway" and since I had to stay still it hurt too much. She asked what was wrong if everything was all right. I said I was having contractions and I was fine they just kindof hurt. She said she'd get the Dr and hurried out of the room. The Dr. hurried right in (the fastest wait I've ever had in that office). She immediately checked me and I was at a 5. She said to go up to labor and delivery just to get checked and see if I would progress further. I tried to call Brandon on the phone like 10 times but he wasn't answering.

So I went and got checked in and 20 minutes later Brandon and Bree popped in, they couldn't find me at the Dr's office and so asked the receptionist person who said I went to labor and delivery. Anyways the Dr. up there checked me and said I was at a six now and to get ready to have a baby. I sent Brandon home to get a bag packed (I hadn't packed one since I didn't want to jinx myself thinking it would be earlier. Stupid I know with Bree I was packed way early) He called his mom to get Bree and packed a bag, mean while I was getting hooked up and waiting for the anesthesiologist, so the nurse asked if i'd like to try new vein while I waited, I hadn't heard of it before so I asked if she recommended it and she said if they had it when she had had her kids she'd use it. So I tried it. Big mistake I started throwing up right then and it didn't wear off for a few days. Anyways Brandon got there just in time for the epidural. My water still hadn't broken when my Dr. came to check on me so she broke it and left the room. A minute later I got a new nurse who checked me and said I was at a 7-8 and turned and left the room. My Dr. walked in 2 seconds later and says she's going to check me before she goes home. She checks and says "Oh, there's a head, lets have a baby, my nanny can wait." I immediately feel like pushing, pushed and there he was! It was so much easier the 2nd time and went so much faster it's like delivery never happened. Recovery was harder this time since I tore further.

Bradley is an easy going, content, cuddly little baby. However, he likes to be held 24/7. Bradley is also an awesome eater. Breelyn was rather difficult with nursing so for Bradley to latch on immediately was such a relief. Bradley also developed slight jaundice a few days after being home since he would sleep for so long without eating. We just increased the eating times and it cleared up quickly. He didn't need a UV light or anything like that. We love him so much and life's even better with two so I guess it get's even better with each addition.

No comments: